Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Hair of the Dog's Adam

Adam on draught
Hair of the Dog Brewery
Portland, OR
Saturday, February 11, 2012




This is my first official brew review, or breview.  I'm excited!  I've heard a little bit about Hair of the Dog Brewery over the last few years and finally got around to trying it on for size.  They are known for unusual craft beers, some of which are aged 6 months in an oak barrel.  I didn't try one of those this time since I was too cheap to pony up $15 for a 12oz. glass.


I selected Adam, which is described by Hair of the Dog as "Our first beer, dark and rick with notes of chocolate, leather and smoke.  10% abv".  Adam IS dark and rich, too rich. It has a strong chocolate flavor, including the sweetness, which is unfortunate.  At first taste I thought, wow, this is really good.  But the chocolate and sweetness quickly became overpowering and it took me a long time to finish it.  I only was able to finish it by drinking water in between.  I can't say I tasted any leather or smoke either, not that that's a bad thing.  For a moment I thought this would be a good dessert beer.  Then I realized the silliness of that thought since I never have beer for dessert.  I blame it on that stinking wine influence.  It's going to take a while to deprogram me from that.


Conclusion:  I won't order this beer again.  Too bad for a first review.  The good news is that I have many, many beers to go and it can only get better.


Rating:

One beer.  It would have been half a beer but I did enjoy the first taste.  

No comments:

Post a Comment