Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Lucky Labrador Brewing Company's Organic Golden Ale

Organic Golden Ale on Draught
Lucky Labrador Brewing Company
Portland, OR
Sunday, February 26, 2012




Knowing that we have a yellow lab and a black lab mix, I will try my best to be completely objective during this breview.  But how can we not love anything about a pub named the Lucky Labrador?  Man, this is going to be difficult.


I ordered the Organic Golden Ale expecting that it would be in the neighborhood of a rich flavored but less hoppy IPA.  As the beer was being carried over to me I noticed the light, clear color that resembled a macro beer.  Before it was even set in front of me I thought "Crap, I ordered the wrong freaking beer".  But since I am blogging about this I have to remind myself to keep more of an open mind about the beers that I normally do not prefer.  Yes, let's give that a try.


My first taste reassured me that this beer resembles macro beers too much and that I would not like it.  My second through seventh tastes did nothing to change that.  However, I pressed myself to see through my bias and find positive traits about the beer and perhaps even enjoy it.  After drinking the beer for a while I did finally convince myself that this beer is a considerable step up from bad beers like Budweiser, Bud Light, Budweiser Select, Budweiser Select 55, Bud Ice, Bud Ice Light, Budweiser Brew Masters' Private Reserve, Bud Dry, Bud Silver, Bud Extra, Budweiser Chelada, Bud Light Chelada, Budweiser American Ale, Budweiser NA, Bud Light Lime, Bud Light Golden Wheat and even the renowned Budweiser 66.  I would not say that I enjoyed the beer but I can see the merits of it.


Conclusion:  I cannot kill this beer because I think that for someone that enjoys light flavored, clean beers this is a good choice.  But since I typically dislike this kind of beer I have to cap the rating at three beers max.



Rating:






Two beers.  Even though I can see how others might enjoy the light aspect I can't help but think that it could have more flavor and still maintain the light and clean feel and taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment